Saturday, November 1, 2008

So, Vote!

I can’t remember the name of this book I read when I was a little kid, but here’s the basic story. The beloved king’s birthday is coming, and his couriers go around the kingdom asking all of his loyal subjects to celebrate by shouting “Happy Birthday” at exactly the same time on that day. Their well wishes will be heard from hill to dale!

But when the moment comes, one person is too busy to stop and shout “Happy Birthday.” One fewer voice, he thinks, what can that matter? Another is too tired. She thinks the same thing. Another forgets…

You catch the drift.

When the moment comes: complete and utter silence throughout the whole kingdom.

This book made a huge impression on me! I read it again and again, my kid-brain sucking in the certainty that if I don’t do what I’m supposed to do the equivalent of that complete and utter silence will be the result.

Like voting. If we don’t vote…

I know. One vote. Big deal. Plus, there’s that wacky Electoral College that makes you think, why bother, especially if you’re a Blue person in a Red state or a Red person in a Blue.

I know this is book thing is kind of a dopey metaphor, too. Flaking out on a birthday greeting to an imaginary king is hardly comparable to what’s at stake on November 4th. Still, it’s a nice little cautionary tale. Why take the risk of remaining silent?

Hundreds of thousands of people have done this in past elections, each one believing his or her own small voice didn’t matter. Let’s not let it happen again!

Your vote is your voice. Use it to shout out what you want our country to be.



For lots of great reasons to vote, check out Blog the Vote.

1 comment:

Lynn E. Hazen said...

Wow, that story did make an impression on your child mind. If you ever remember the title, please post it. I'd love to see the book. I think there is a group on Good Reads that helps find the name of forgotten titles. Of course do I remember the name of the group?
Oh, here it is--What's The Name of That Book??? And there are 837 members in that Good Reads group so maybe they'll help find the title?

In the meantime, thanks for an interesting post.